On my way to work this morning one of my favorite Christian songs from Kutless came on my Ipod. I wanted to share some of the lyrics with all of you because I have always felt that these lyrics were so powerful. Then I will talk about how they relate to life for my and my weight loss journey.
- You feel like your life’s crashing down all around you. Let me ask if it’s really so bad? Look at the world and it’s suffering, can you honestly tell me that no one else can understand all of the hurting inside.
- Why can’t you see, that freedom is sometimes just simply another perspective away. Who could you be. If your lense was changed for a moment would you still be the same.
- Yestertday you really couldn’t see, by changing your angle a new world will be. Revealed to your once blinded eyes by moving a few degrees.
As I said at the top of this post, these lyrics are very powerful to me. They are not ony relevant for my weight loss journey but for life in general. In fact, it seems that “your perspective” is really all that matters some times. Many times I get really down and blue. During these times I focus on the negatives and fail to even basically believe that any of the positives exist at all. This crushes me for the short period that I am like this. This perspective causes bad food choices, binges, junk food love, sneak eating, negative talk about my body, self-perpectuating cycles of eat/guilt/eat/guilt.
I am in this negative perspective paradigm right now. But what is the true perspective? For all of us, when we feel so down about the journey; WHAT IS THE TRUE PERSPECTIVE? HOW DO WE CHANGE OUR PERSPECTIVE? I think that changing perspectives is a choice albeit a very difficult one. I also think that the more time that you spend in one the harder it is to change to the other. Take my body image for example. I looked at a larger and more obese body for sooooo many years that even though that image is from the past now, it is like a took a still photo of it and I still see it in my persepctive in the mirror at times. It is not the true perspective though and I am slowly (very slowly) coming to terms with the real picture now.
I want to share my present view point and then share the “actual” one.
- I can’t lose the few pounds that I have gained
- I am getting bigger by the day
- Everything is sooo hard
- I am a failure so I should just give in to all temptations
- I am not feeling appreciated
- Food helps me feel better
- Eating healthy is boring
- My job sucks
- I am very good at losing weight and I have proved that
- I have gained some weight but I am still under WW goal weight
- All things are possible through Him who strengthens me
- I fail sometimes but I am not a failure. I am blessed and healthy
- Even though I may feel unloved, many people and especially God love me.
- Eating healthy makes me feel more healthy
- Eating healthy is a great way to spice things up. Anyone can eat unhealthy junk
- My job is a dream job for many people out there and having a job in general is a blessing.
- I am not a fat blob!
It is so hard for me to look at the positive sometimes especially when I am feeling low and don’t want to put the effort into climbing out of the black hole. But the good is ALWAYS there, it is ALWAYS real, it is ALWAYS there for the taking if I can just remember it. If I can just be thankful and grateful for what I have and for what has happened along this journey.
I am not doing well on weight watchers. Nobody turned on the “difficult” switch when I wasn’t looking. The program is the same. I am still an endurance athlete and “fit as a fiddle” (as Robfitness says). I will ask for God’s help to change my view of what is going on. Change my view on how strong I am with Him. To change my view on what is still and always has been possible.
THIS IS YOUR LIFE!!! ARE YOU WHO YOU WANT TO BE?